Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Lorenzo Buhne

TSKW’s first musician-in-residence reflects on his stay in Key West

In May 2008, New Zealand-based Italian musician Lorenzo Buhne became one of the first artists-in-residence at The Studios of Key West. Spending one month in the Mango Tree House, an Old Town cottage now dedicated to hosting visiting artists and cultural producers, Buhne soaked up the island's sights, sounds, and flavors, and came away with an entirely new portfolio of influences and songs. TSKW executive director Eric Holowacz sat down with Buhne, before the musician returned to the Southern Hemisphere, and they shared these thoughts...


Holowacz: This was your first experience with our community. What were your impressions or ideas of Key West before you first touched down in the Conch Republic?

Buhne: Just before coming to Key West, I had been finishing up a new album in Los Angeles, and had little time to reflect on the adventure that was upon me. I did however consult a world Atlas and was intrigued and excited to find Key West's proximity to the Caribbean, Cuba, and the tropics. It was all new to me, and I had no idea what to expect.

Holowacz: You arrived just before the 26th Conch Republic Independence Day celebrations. Did you partake in any of the revelry?

Buhne: Yes, I did! We was fortunate enough to meet Guy De Boar, and score a cruise on his catamaran. We began circumnavigating the island, and little did I know that I was about to be involved in a naval battle! We celebrated the annual Conch Republic patriotic fight for freedom by throwing wet balls of bread at other boats, all in good fun, and watched passing planes drop toilet paper on a defenseless Coast Guard vessel. I went home absolutely drenched, but ever more intrigued by your community.

Holowacz: Tell us about your recent music projects, and inspirations.

Buhne: Most of my musical career was spent playing punk music, back when I was based in Los Angeles. It was a big change for me about 10 years ago when I tried experimenting with different genres, expanding my influences. My childhood was spent in Naples, Italy, and all of a sudden I found myself singing the music of my youth, and songs from my family. Just before coming to The Studios of Key West, I finished my second album, entirely in Italian. It's called Buon Giorno.

Holowacz: You are among the first to become artist-in-residence here at The Studios of Key West. Can you describe how it went, and what you got out of it?

Buhne: Being a part of the TSKW campus was refreshing, comforting, and a bit of an adventure. I can't explain it fully, but the residency truly helped me grow as an artist. I realized how much work I can do when I am in the right environment, isolated, undisturbed, and removed from daily responsibilities. It was a blessing, really. Being an artist at the Studios also increased my confidence to learn and try new things with my music. For the first time in ages, I experienced the freedom to let go. I had all the time, space, and privacy I needed to experiment. I realized a kind of hidden potential, and the lovely surrounds and supportive artists environment provided me plenty of inspiration.

Holowacz: Did you have a chance to connect with local musicians and artists in Key West?

Buhne: Eric introduced me to quite a few creative people, among them Skipper Kripitz, an extraordinary Key West drummer. We got along well and he invited me to perform in between sets, and I sat in on many of his club gigs. Through him, I was able to meet quite a few other local musicians, which helped me soak up the island's musical vibes. Skipper and I now have forged a friendship that will continue long after my residency, and I know we will collaborate in some way in the future.

Holowacz: What were the 3 highlights or major memories from your time here?

Buhne: Having the time and space to think and create, simple as that. Playing with local artists and beginning a collaboration with TSKW’s other visiting artist, painte Mike Lash. My personal encounter with a manatee and a mangrove iguana at Key Haven!

Holowacz: Did any new creative work come out of your TSKW residency?

Buhne: After I arrived ideas flowed immediately. And that was so exciting. During my month-long stay I wrote 19 songs, more than enough to do a full CD project. The inspiration came purely from my experiences of the local culture, and the particular ethos at Mile Marker Zero. In fact, I have decided to call my next CD “Cayo Hueso” in honor of my time in such a special place. I also began a collaboration with my fellow other artist-in-residence, Mike Lash, which will bear fruit over the coming year.

Holowacz: What are the first 3 things you'll do once you get back to your home in Wellington, New Zealand?

Buhne: Be with my family. Work on my new Key West material and finish those songs. Repeat steps 1 and 2.

Holowacz: What will you miss most about our small, tropical island?

Buhne: The new friendships, the warm weather, swimming at Fort Zach, the great food, time working alone, afternoon bucci, Duval Street at night, and interacting with the other artists and stellar staff at The Studios of Key West. When I leave this island, it will be remembered as an enchanted dream.

Holowacz: If you could make a few suggestions for the next incoming artist-in-residence, what would they be?
Buhne: Come as you are, with a totally open mind. Absorb everything Key West offers, and let it take you somewhere new.

Holowacz: Anything else you want to mention?

Buhne: You and your team, Martha, Elena, and Lauren, were so hospitable and generous with your time. I felt so welcome, comfortable, and immersed in a creative environment! That's rare, so kudos to you all. I would do it all over again and not change a thing. A big huge thank you from the bottom of my heart, which is still singing these new songs!